Friday, May 6, 2011
Quick Breakfast Sandwich Recipe
There comes a point where you can no longer kid yourself that you're on a diet. For some people (like myself), it comes when you realize that you get your breakfast at McDonald's every day. For those who have hit that point, possibly multiple times, here is a quick, easy, cheap alternative... the Fake McMuffin. Or McFakin. (Or the McBunnyMuffin, as it's known at our home.)
1 English muffin (preferably low-calorie and/or whole grain)
1/4 cup Fake Liquid Egg Stuff
1/2 teaspoon water
1 slice of Turkey Bacon
1 slice of no- or low-fat cheese
Several sprays of Fake Liquid Butter
Ground pepper to taste
1) Toast your English muffin.
2) Pour your Liquid Egg Stuff into a microwave-safe, round 2-cup measuring cup. Add up to 1/2 teaspoon of water and ground pepper to taste. Give it a quick whisk with a fork.
3) Wrap your slice of bacon in a paper towel.
4) Put the measuring cup with the egg mixture and the paper-towel wrapped bacon in the microwave, and cook for a minute and a half. Flip the bacon over, and microwave again for 30 seconds. (Your microwave times may vary. Start with shorter times and experiment until you find what works with your machine.)
5) Remove your English muffin with from the toaster. Spritz with Liquid Butter Stuff. Arrange your sandwich to your liking. I prefer egg on the bottom, then bacon, then cheese on top, but GO CRAZY.
Add a piece of fruit, and there you go. A healthy breakfast in about five minutes.
1) IMMEDIATELY wash out your measuring cup, or at least soak in warm soapy water. Microwaved Fake Egg Stuff becomes ridiculously difficult to remove once it's dried.
2) The recipe above gives you a sandwich that's about 200 calories with as little as 3 grams of fat. Your diet might even allow you to have 2 of these!
3) You can change up this sandwich to suit your tastes very easily. You can have ham instead of bacon, or a small bagel instead of an English muffin. If you are not concerned about calories, you can substitute real egg, real bacon, and real butter.
I hope you enjoy this quick and easy alternative to a stop at the fast food restaurant!